"If Today is Monday, We Must Be in..." allows campers to learn about specific places in Israel by "visiting" a different place one day each week.
Number of Campers:
Age of Campers:
Israel is a small but very diverse country, as seen by the differences between each of the cities and locations campers will "visit."
Note: Depending on the location of the week, the core learnings may differ and address one or more of the essential questions below.
- "If Today is Monday, We Must Be In..." is not a stand alone program, rather it is a way to turn one day a week into Israeli geography day.
- Geographic highlights of Israel may include:
- Tel Aviv
- Be'er Sheva
- The Negev
- The Dead Sea
- The Golan Heights
- Choose one day a week that will be the Israeli Geography Day. On that day, include the following elements:
- A one page sheet that includes a picture of the city and fun facts can be posted around camp, in the bunks, etc.
- Two to three counselors will respresent the Israeli place. They will have costumes that identify them as the place (i.e. a special hat or sign). The counselors will have a few stories they can tell and a bunch of quiz questions. Campers can approach these counselors during the day to ask them about their city or ask them for quiz questions. If the campers successfully answer the quiz questions, they get special "shekel" tokens.
- Schlichim or counselors who have visited the locations can add their own personalized fun facts -- either during announcements at meals or at other moments.
- At the end of the day, the camper who has the most shekel tokens wins a prize!